I was watching those new training videos on the church website about the priesthood and the family (here is the link: https://www.lds.org/training/wwlt/2013/bringing-up-children-in-light-and-truth?lang=eng) and they talked about this scripture:
"12 And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the arock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your bfoundation;
that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts
in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty cstorm
shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down
to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye
are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build
they cannot fall."
-Helaman 5:12
It made me think about how my foundation is right now and how I react to the storms of life. Sometimes I take it with ease, knowing that things are going to be ok and sometimes I am completely knocked off my feet by the smallest trials. I came to the conclusion that when my trials seem like they are going to overtake me and that there is no hope left, that is when my foundation is not strong. There is a crack in the foundation and I have not been diligent about fixing it and making it better. Those are the times when I am slacking in my scripture study and my prayers are not as sincere as they should be. Those are the times when I let myself become focused on things that aren't important and when I become self-absorbed. Those are the times when I let selfish motives rule my time and when my focus isn't on my family and building them up.
Now in contrast to that, I have noticed as well that when trials come my way and I am able to take them with ease, and I feel peace in knowing that we will be taken care of, those are the times when my foundation is strong. Those are the times when I am diligently studying my scriptures and praying with real sincerity of heart, knowing that my prayers are being heard. Those are the times when I am focusing my time and talents on building my family and when I am not completely focused on myself. I find myself more motivated to spend quality time with Adalee and to teach her. I am more motivated to put my house in order and to attempt to keep it that way. When I am on track spiritually, I find I am more motivated to go out and meet new people. I do my visiting teaching and I enjoy doing it. I spend my free time doing things that will bring the spirit into our home, rather than take it away. I read good books that are uplifting and I listen to music that I feel ok letting Adalee listen to. I feel so much more peace and our home really does feel like a safe-haven from the storms of the world. I love that feeling. It's hard to always have it here. I am not perfect and let me be the first to say that I struggle with this. It's hard to always have a positive outlook and to always be on top spiritually. But I know that I love the feeling when I am and that's what motivates me to get back up and work harder. Life's too short to be wasted on trivial meaningless things and life's too short to not be able to see the good in it. I hope I can always see the good and always strive to make my foundation stronger so that I am not blown around by the storms of life.
No comments:
Post a Comment